Sunday 22 March 2020

Day 8: The emperors are cashing in on the burning of Rome

Oh, I am now angry angry angry. Airlines and cruise ships are going to get huge bailouts, average citizens are going to get barely enough to help through a week or so of being off work, and those at the very bottom are being kicked to the curb so egregiously I can't stand it - children in foster care, apparently, are en masse getting kicked out of their foster home placements because no one wants to deal with having foster children actually under their feet all day long while the schools are shuttered. Trump downplayed the expected impact of the coronavirus while Republican lawmakers were busy selling off their stocks right before the crash. 
And meanwhile, I have an MD and I spent the day at home painting my dining room table, chatting with friends on video hangouts who want to sew me home-made surgical masks out of cute print fabrics, and thinking I should probably go out for a run at some point... I am going to write to the medical staff office of the local hospital and see if they are planning to loosen the requirements for ER/hospitalist work; it has been over seven years since I did any inpatient medicine (aside from the odd labor & delivery patient with an internal-mediciney issue) so I am rusty, but since so many outpatient clinics are shuttering and the hospitals are exploding, it just feels like that is the place I should be right now. They were pretty desperate for hospitalists when I applied for my L&D privileges several years ago. Ooh, I can wear one of my cute new surgical masks. It'll make up for the fact that Richard Branson, who already has a net worth according to Google of about $3.5 billion, is about to walk off with, not just the cost of my cancelled flight to the UK in April, but also several million dollars in bailout money.


No comments: